Wednesday 26 October 2011

Problems with the Construction of Naval Base in Gangjeong Village, Jeju.

I have been to Gangjeong village, and it was one of the most beautiful place that I have ever seen , so I was surprised to know that it is suffering from the Jeju naval base construction. Even though I have read about it in the newspaper before, but I was unaware that the construction had already begun.
It is so obvious how unreasonable it is to construct the naval base in this place where there is abundant fertile farmland with good-quality water running along Gangjeong stream and with various endangered animal species. It is so clear in Gangjeong village how the construction tore the village community up which was once beautiful and peaceful, and how the villagers are protesting against the construction at the risk of their lives.
However, I heard that the South Korean government and the navy are still obstinate about this. They have Encompassed the village with hundreds of policemen and fence, and they have forcefully restarted the construction. They are knocking down any protest movement by arresting villagers and activists and abusing governmental
authority.
First, I thought that this should be acquiesced for the sake of national interests. However, I learned that for national interests, the base construction must be stopped because the base would ruin not only the beautiful and peaceful natural community but also relations between South Korea and China. I heard that one of the main reasons why the government and the navy mention to justify the naval base construction, is the protection of Socotra rock located between southern sea of Jeju Island and the East China Sea. But I think it’s such a dangerous and foolish idea which makes 'uncertain thereat' to 'certain threat'. Besides, China is also one of Korea’s strongest trade partners, so I think it’s also important to maintain good relationship with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment